Watch the video Analyzing Spread and Variation (Measures of Center, 2013)
In the video, there is an example demonstrating how two similar restaurants have very different patterns of variation. Watch the video. Consider how the video discussed the variation in sales and how that corresponds to what you learned in Unit 2 “Measures of Dispersion”. Then answer the following questions:
- What is the most likely cause of variation for the spread of sales?
- What other causes might there be for such a wide variation?
For your initial post, identify (but don’t collect) a type of dataset that might vary significantly from its mean. (Examples may be adult’s weights or BMIs, a company’s sales, or the number of pieces of mail you receive in a week. Using your imaginary dataset, answer the following questions:
- What is a brief description of the data?
- How much would you expect the data to vary?
- What might the causes of the variation be?
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Measures of center: Against all odds: Inside statistics [Video file]. (2013). Retrieved August 1, 2017, from https://fod.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=104861&xtid=111523
Field of study:
Wednesday, November 14, 2018