Monarch Associates, a U.S. computer parts manufacturer, entered into a joint venture with a Russian computer technology company, Vladir Unlimited. The joint venture agreement was signed by both parties but created by Vladir and had an arbitration clause that called for all legal and nonlegal disputes, to be arbitrated in Russia. Vladir could also choose arbitrators from a panel maintained by the Russia Arbitration Institution. The panel members live in Russia.
Monarch now contends that a legal dispute with Vladir should be handled in the United States. Vladir insists that the dispute should be handled in Russia.
Using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, research international law and its application to companies such as these.
Apply APA standards for writing style to your work.
Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M1_A3.doc.
Respond to the following questions in your essay:
- What laws govern arbitration in the U.S.? In Russia?
- In your opinion, in which country should the dispute be handled?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages for Monarch Associates under the arbitration arrangement?
- If you were Monarch Associates’ in-house counsel, what advice would you give them on negotiating future joint ventures with Russian businesses?
- What other considerations should Monarch Associates keep in mind in the formation of any future contracts with foreign companies?
Submit your assignment to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.
Assignment 3 Grading Critiria
Evaluated and explained the legal aspects of contracting internationally.
Explained the applicability of the arbitration clause in this setting.
Applied the legal principles to the facts to describe potential outcomes.
Supported statements with reasons and research.
Applied APA standards for editorial style, expression of ideas, and format of text, citations, and references.
Field of study:
Thursday, October 11, 2018