In this activity, we will discuss what a goal is and some best
practices for goal setting. What do you hope to accomplish? Is there a
plan in development? If you have a plan, could you make any adjustments?
Would you consider a different approach than the one listed in your
plan? Do you have the required resources? Is each step clearly defined?
These are important questions that need to be explored in order to flesh
out our goals and identify the most efficient route to achieving them.
For this discussion, you will first need to define what a goal is and provide a comprehensive example of a goal. It is important that you not only understand what a goal is, but how to develop one. Please review the following list of best practices of goal setting:
- Performance goals are aligned with organizational goals.
- Goals include specific guidance on how to accomplish them.
- Achievement of performance goals is used to drive subsequent assignments.
- Employees and managers consider current performance, individual desires, and department needs when developing a goal.
- Goals are communicated to the project management team.
In your initial response:
- After reviewing these best practices, develop two of your own best practices related to goal setting.
- Provide evidence-based rationale for why you think your chosen best practices are valid.
- Post a 2 to 4 paragraph discussion post (300 words minimum). Justify your explanations by including in-text citations and references in APA format as applicable. Be sure to review your writing for grammar and spelling before posting.